Σελιδες

Newsletter

The Ancient Theatre Of Lyttos


It was the largest theater in all of Crete. The ruins were visible until at least 1583, when the captured the Venetian traveler Onorio Belli, but through  time has been covered with dust and today is unknown the exact location. The material of the theater used later to build the current settlementBelow the chapel of St. George is, believed to be the Parliament House in the city.

The only visible trace of the town are the remains of a house of the Hellenistic period and parts of the wall from the Byzantine period, which appeared on the hillside just west of the chapel of the Holy Cross A wander among the vines and weeds will reveal many marbles and fragments of ancient pottery Lyttos.