Ag Anargiroi Parish
Lyttos , Pediada
Herakleion , Crete
The parish Ag.Anargyron Lyttos Pediados includes the settlement of the village Lyttos (ex Xidas) belongs to the Kastelli Pediados, with about 200 monimous living.
The inhabitants are engaged mainly in rural work, they are peaceful, hard-working and have a special relationship with the church, as evidenced by the interest and their participation in all the events of the church, the ethics and financial support, and the existence of many churches to it.
Evidence of the existence of an organized church at the settlement of Lyttos have from the year 1267 with newspaper named kingdom, and referred to Venetian archives. The parish today as (2010) is under the jurisdiction of 17 churches, including 2 within the village and 15 chapels.
At the parish in the last 100 years have served as priests:
1. Kakkos Michael.
2. Stathakis George
3. Malaigiannakis Andreas
4. Stathakis Emmanuel (1943-1979)
5. Papakanderakis Emmanuel c. (1979 – …)
The churches of the parish are as follows:
1ST: CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF AG.ANARGYRON KOSMA & DAMIANOS
The above church is in the middle of the village and is the oldest. It is the first diklitos the first and older klitos is dedicated to Ag Anargyrous Kosma & Damianos and dates from the 13th century. Celebrating in 1 July and 1 November.
Later the second klitos been added which is dedicated to the virgin genesis. Celebrates 8 th September. Last major addition is the wonderful belfry at the year 1886.
2ND: HOLY TEMPLE AG CHARALAMBOUS
It is the biggest temple of the parish at the entrance of the village in a prominent place. It is triklitos, with a byzantine style and cupola. The main klitos is dedicated to St. Charalambous, the right one to the apostle Titus first bishop of Crete and the left in Ag Stylianou.
It was erected in the place of the already existed church of St. Charalambous. The foundation was raised by the archbishop of Crete Mr. Eugene on 7 July 1958 and the opening was made by him on 6 July 1969. It was erected by the reverend Emm. C. Stathakis with the help of all of the residents of the parish.
3RD: BYZANTINE HOLY TEMPLE AG GEORGE OF GENERALIDON
It is the oldest chapel of the parish and is situated between the orchards of the region. It is painted with beautiful fresco. Over its entrance there is an inscription saying that the church was built in 1321 year with assistance of a christian named Iakomos and his wife Sofia and of their children.
Several years used as memorial park. In recent years has maintained external and internal from 13 byzantine antiquities. Celebrating its 3rd November.
4th: Byzantine Holy Temple Ag Georgios of Lyttos
It is built on the hilltop where the ancient city of Lyttos (Lyktos) is situated. It dates from the 14th century. Inside there are a remaining pieces of beautiful fresco. It has been preserved externally and internally from the 13th byzantine antiquities. It is celebrates the 23rd April.
5TH: BYZANTINE HOLY TEMPLE AG NIKOLAOU
It is located in between the villages Lyttos and Kastamonitsa on the road. It dates from the 14th century and its interior is full of murals. Has been preserved externally and internally from the 13th byzantine antiquities. It celebrates the 6th April.
6TH: HOLY CROSS CHURCH
It is built near the holy temple St. George approximately in the middle of the area where the ancient city of Lyttos was built in the year 1843 as witnessed by an inscription over the central entrance. It celebrates on the 14th September and gathers many Christians from the surrounding villages.
7 th: holy temple Ag. Antoniou
It is in the area of Lyttos. The exact date of its built is not known. It celebrates the 17th January.
8th: holy Christ church of bosses
Small chapel built in 1853 from a devout Christians named Anthony Tsagarakis. It celebrates the 6th august.
9 th: holy temple Zoodochou Pigi
It is located in ‘draimanos “district of Lyttos. It is now known the year of built. It celebrates on the Easter Friday.
10 th: holy temple holy apostles Peter & Paul
Its location is in ‘kanterianos ‘district of Lyttos. Built in the year 1879 by Emmanuel Kanderakis. It celebrates on the 29th June.
11th: Ag Paraskevi holy temple
Built in the year 1901 on the ruins of an earlier byzantine church in location near the village. It celebrates on the 26th July.
12th: holy trinity church
It is ion the roots of the hill of ancient Lyttos and it celebrates the day of Pentecost
13th: holy temple Ag Spyridonos
It is located in the former settlement of “spyridiano” near the mineral water spring. Built with the costs of the devout Christians Emmanuel & Aikaterinis Mizeraki. It celebrates on the 12th December.
14th: holy temple St. Constantine and Eleni
It is the funeral temple of the parish. Rebuilt entirely with the cost of the great donor at the parish, Stylianis I. Malliotaki the year 1972.it celebrates on the 21st May.
15th: holy temple Agios Nektarios
Near the village of Lyttos built by the donor Stylianis I. Malliotaki the year 1984. It celebrates on the 9th November.
16 th: holy temple of Ag Irini Chrysovalantou
New church of the parish, rebuilt by the great donor stylianis I. Malliotaki and her sister Krystallis M. Kourovasili in a private land the year 1984. It celebrates on the 28th July.
17 th: holy temple St. John Russians Volaka
Built during the years 1999 – 2000 for the fulfilling of 2000 years of Christianity. It is prominently located on the site “Volaka” in the district of Lyttos. The foundation was set by the vicar of the parish Emm. Papakanderakis on 02/05/1999. The inauguration was performed by the eminence metropolitan Arkalochori Kastelli and Viannos Mr. Andrea on 28 / 08 / 2003. It celebrates on the 27th may.
The above temple apart from the parish is helped in various ways by association of the friends of St. John the Russians Volaka each year during summer months they organize different events in the wider area of the temple. The temple has been built on parcels property of the brothers George Emm. Zouraraki & Maria Zouraraki, who offered them to the parish with pleasure.
The priest of the parish Emm .C. Papakanderakis and the church council, thank with all their heart the Christians inside and outside the village who help and support the project.