- Geometric and Archaic Period
Lyktos subsequently Littos, was one of the most important cities of ancient Crete, and was located east of Knossos. The prominent and proud city is mentioned by ancient writers as a colony of Sparta. Polybius refers to it as the oldest Doric town of the island, where the first plant specimens date back to ancient times. While found in Ru-ki-to signs in Linear B from Knossos.
- Homer PERIOD
Lyktos is one of the seven Cretan cities mentioned in the Homeric epics, the Iliad and Odyssey.Mentioned by Hesiod in the Theogony. Lyktos took part in the Trojan war. He sent troops to Koirano the partner and the coachman Meriones, who rescued Idomeneas from the pole of Hector, sacrificing himself.
- Hellenistic and Roman Period
One of the biggest ventures of Roman Crete is Lyktos aqueduct, which carries water from the Kournas southeast of Krassi. The building is an architectural marvel, and has been built on the remote mountain slopes of Dikte. For the construction of the raw materials dikti used to offer . For the lime used to build special lime hills and valleys. This scale reservoirs built by the Romans to relieve residents from water scarcity, but mainly to provide water to the baths in the cities.
- BYZANTINE PERIOD
In the region of Lyttos there are Byzantine and post-Byzantine churches with great interest. The archaeological site of Lyttos, dominates the temple of the Holy Cross and the painted church of St. George, which dates back to 1321 AD. The settlement of Xida is the post-Byzantine church of Ag Anargiroi.
The citadel of Lyttos at the height of 600 m was supervising the region. During the Byzantine period, according to archaeological evidence (coins), remained in use, the settlement in place of the acropolis of Lyttos. The fortifications of the citadel were strengthened during the period of Arabian occupation.
- MODERN TIMES
The first German troops arrived in the area of Kastelli and Lyttos on 1 June 1941. They started to manufacture the forging military airport located in the plain of Kastelliano that the British first began to build. Transporting infantry forces, because the war Castelli Airport played an important role in the occupation.
In Castelli the German brought 2500 soldiers. After the summer of 1944 the Germans began to mingle and leave the soil of Crete from east to west. From the area of Kastelli, the Germans withdrew on 24 September 1944. The Germans had collected for retirement, they had gathered all their ammunition in the Grampella Diavaide. Region noon that day they blew up the explosive ordnance. And while everything was ready for departure, the German commander of the troops took possession of his car and a driver and headed east in search of a friendly couple to tell them farewell, who are located in the Diavaide. The information they got was that those who they were searching where in the village of Xida. He went there and at a bend of the road he fell into a rebel roadblock. The driver was killed immediately and he was seriously injured. Driven by the rebels in the hills of Lyttos and there unfolded the final act of the drama of the German occupation in Castelli, gaining freedom again.